End to End Testing and Test Automation
What is end-to-end software testing?
Why do you require E2E testing for your organisation?
We will provide a comprehensive guide to E2E testing.
It will cover the definition, process, benefits, and challenges. Organisations can use the AI-powered algoQA platform for hassle-free end-to-end automation testing.
E2E Test Automation
E2E testing covers all steps of software testing during SDLC. Detailed test automation using real-life situations provides glitch-free applications for public consumption.
The end-to-end testing method ensures desired data flow for processes and tasks. It verifies app behaviour as expected and as customers might desire.
Testers apply simulation to create a real-world scenario. The E2E testing begins with the user’s viewpoint and conducts tests according to the activities of end users.
E2E testing observes and analyses app interaction with the network, hardware, datasets, external dependencies, and other apps. Generally, end-to-end automation testing is conducted after system, and functional testing is done.
The stage from where the E2E testing starts is called the Minimum Viable Product. It is different from UI testing, integration testing, and unit testing.
Importance of End-to-End Software Testing
Organisations widely apply E2E testing because:
- Software testing teams increase their automation test coverage. These are detailed test cases and better results than functional and unit tests.
- Teams automate vital user paths. It reduces the time to test and launch applications for end-users.
- End-to-end testing also helps to improve the quality of test accuracy and outcome.
- User behaviour is crucial for the success of an application. E2E testing plans test cases from the end user’s perspective. Therefore, these tests provide user-ready software with comprehensive tests of all relevant aspects.
- Eliminate bugs and glitches in the system. It improves the speed, functioning, and UX of customers.
- E2E testing takes less time compared to individual tests. Less time in tests means faster software development and shorter go-to-market time.
- It minimises the overall cost involved in Software Development Life Cycle.
- The E2E automation testing process appeals to developers, managers, testers, and users.
- It is easier to write scripts for test cases as it is based on the user’s behaviour.
- Real-world simulations help to detect problems faster and help to resolve them on-spot.
- Enhances user experiences across web, desktop, and mobile apps
- Overall benefits in workflow optimisation, efficient operation, and application quality
- E2E testing ensures application dependencies function properly and cohabit without hassles.
Steps for Successful E2E Testing
- Analyse app requirements to perform in every situation
- Plan an automation test according to the end user’s requirements
- Assess software and hardware requirements for the test
- Make a list of systems that require for response
- Enlist testing methods, programming language, tools, and others for the individual tests in the E2E test.
- Plan test cases and run
- Study outcomes of tests and save for implementation
Example of E2E Software Testing
Let’s say, you need to test your Gmail account through an end-to-end test automation method.
Conduct the following tests:
- Type the URL at the address bar to start the Gmail login page
- Use verified credentials to access the Gmail account
- Open Inbox to read and explore emails
- Compose an email
- Forward and reply to an email in the Inbox.
- Check Sent, Spam, and other folders
- Create a new folder for emails from a particular sender
- Click logout to exit Gmail
Three Categories of Activities during End-to-End Test Automation
Create Functions of Users
- Make a list of application features and integrated sub-systems
- Test and record all activities performed for each feature
- Repeat the action for all input and output data.
- Understand relationships among different user features.
- Analyse and establish independent or reusable features of each user.
Making Test Cases
- Develop several test cases for every feature of end-user functions
- Use a separate or single test case for each situation
User Functions based Conditions.
Create conditions for testing after considering data conditions, timing, etc.
How to measure E2E Test Automation?
Track the progress of end-to-end software testing through the following factors.
- There should be the correct test cases for each app feature. Check and ensure test cases during automation testing.
- A weekly report of E2E test progress. Vital parameters are tests executed, not executed, and failed test cases.
- Keep track of bugs and distributing defects
- You should have the verified information about defects found, closed, and created every week.
- Compare the scheduled time for E2E testing and the time actually involved.
Challenges of E2E Automation Testing
- Creating workflows in E2E testing is challenging. It included thousands of tests for each function that should run in a particular pattern.
- The test pattern must follow the path of users while browsing through the software.
- System updates in the middle of test cases can interrupt E2E software testing. You can create an ideal automation testing environment on a real device cloud.
Benefits of Choosing algoQA
algoQA is an artificial intelligence-powered end-to-end automation testing platform.
- E2E testing involves distributed testing and simulation of steps using API calls. You can also use stubs and database queries.
- algoQA from AlgoShack facilitates testing beyond UI automation.
- algoQA provides a single platform for UI-based functional test automation, load test automation, and API test automation.
- It is a technology-agnostic platform. It supports multi-lingual scripting, seamless working across ALMs, and multiple reporting formats.
- You can use algoQA for Web Applications, Mobile Applications, Hybrid Applications, Desktop Applications, Robotic Process Automation, and Embedded Software.
- Leverages Artificial intelligence and machine learning for almost 100 % accurate automation test results
- Auto coding and machine-generated scripts in a few minutes
- Provides thousands of test cases and executable scripts
- The enhanced overall productivity of automation tests and minimises go-to-market time
- SaaS-based rapid automation with the best return on investment
Visit https://www.algoshack.com/algoQA/ to learn more about E2E automation testing with algoQA. Contact us to book a demo.